This oobleck recipe is simple to make, inexpensive, and sure to lead to hours of oozey gooey fun!
Oobleck is one of the easiest and most inexpensive crafts you can make. It is made with only 2 ingredients (including water) and takes less than 5 minutes from start to finish. All that is needed is a few dollars, if you don’t already have corn starch in your cupboard, and you’ve got yourself a fantastic activity for everyone to enjoy!
Easy craft for kids
If you’re like me you are probably always on the lookout for easy kids crafts that are simple enough for toddlers to make, fun for adults, and have an easy clean up. Oobleck checks all of those boxes and so much more! This oozey craft can easily keep anyone distracted for hours.
With only 2 ingredients this craft is perfect for those days when you don’t have a lot of time but you still want to do something fun. Oobleck is also a wonderful sensory play activity that can be used to educate little ones on the difference between liquids and solids. After you have made oobleck, check out kids summer fun activities for more fun!
What is oobleck?
Most people recognize oobleck as the famous green gooey stuff that fell from the sky in Dr. Suess’ book Bartholomew and the Oobleck. This fascinating substance is non-newtonian, meaning it acts as both a solid and a liquid. It is similar to homemade slime, but even easier to make! This cornstarch and water creation is so much fun for the entire family!
- Cornstarch: I use Clabber Girl but any cornstarch will work.
- Water: *If you are adding food color mix in water before adding cornstarch.
- Food coloring (optional): If you’d like, use some food coloring to customize the color!
How to make Oobleck
Mix cornstarch and water together in a bowl until combined. If adding food coloring, mix in with the water before adding the cornstarch. You also may want to wear disposable gloves so you don’t stain your hands.
Once your oobleck is formed, you can start playing with it. When you lift it up, it will turn to liquid. If you press on it firmly (or pound it), it will turn to a solid.
More easy kids crafts:
- Medium bowl
- Spoon for mixing
- Disposable gloves (if using food coloring)
- 2 cups cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- food coloring , optional
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the cornstarch and water. If you would like to add food coloring, mix it in with the water first before adding the cornstarch.
- Once the mixture is formed, it's ready to play with! If you press on it firmly with your hands (or pound it), the oobleck will turn to a solid. When you lift it up, it will turn to liquid.