Road trip games + Mom’s car kit…the ultimate guide to helping you be prepared for your next road trip with kids.
Going on a road trip is always on our summer bucket list. The family always has such a great time and there are so many fun memories that are made.
Road trips are one of my favorite things to do. If I could travel somewhere new with my family every month I totally would. Recently we traveled to VA beach to visit my husband’s family and had such a blast there. It was about an 11 hour drive, so with 3 young kids, I had to come up with lots of road trip games and the ultimate mom car kit.
The key to a successful road trip is to be prepared. Below I’m sharing the main things we do to try and make sure we are covered.
Road trip games for kids
One of my kids’ favorite things to do on road trips is to make up different games or play some of the classics. Here are a few of my family’s favorites:
- I spy with my little eye – something that is ___ (then you name a color and everyone guesses)
- The license plate game – basically all you do is have each person participating write down as many different states that they can. Whoever sees the most states wins!
- 21 questions – guess what a person is thinking in less than 21 questions.
- The counting game – see how high you can collectively count as a group, one person each taking a turn.
- The alphabet game – try to go through the whole alphabet by finding letters on signs
- Battle of the bands – singing your favorite songs and matching the lyrics
Free printable kids’ activity worksheets
I also love to bring along a binder for each kid with rainbow coloring pages and activity worksheets. These would even be good to have on hand for the next time your kids tell your they’re bored this summer too. 😉
- summer word explorer
- summer sudoku
- tic tac toe
- connect the dots
- hang man
- reading chart
- draw & write sheet
- summer fun list
- sort the words
- keen eye
Download these FREE activity sheets for your next road trip!
The ultimate Mom’s road trip car kit
One thing I love to keep in the car for road trips is a dedicated “car kit.” I don’t know about you, but when our van is packed, it is packed to the brim. So if someone needs something out of their suit case, it’s going to be a process to find it. So recently I have started putting all of our essentials and things we might need into this kit that is easily accessible. Here’s a few things we keep inside:
- Towel or blanket
- Paper towels
- Baby wipes
- Hand sanitizer
- Insect repellent
- Grocery sack or trash bag
- First aid kit
- Extra diapers (if traveling with a baby)
- Flash light
- Extra water bottles
- Extra change of clothes
I’d love to hear what tips you have on road trips. What are your favorite road trip games?