Little ones will have so much fun with these easy science experiments for kids! Find science ideas that you can do indoors and outdoors, and for a wide range of ages!
Best Science Experiments for Kids
Kids love science! Learning and playing go hand in hand with science experiments and make lessons stick for a lifetime, all while having fun!
This list of fun science experiments for kids includes so many fun ideas that can be done in the classroom or at home! They’re perfect for keeping little hands and little minds busy at the same time.
Tips for Science With Kids
Science with kids can be fun, but we want to make sure they’re learning while we play too! Here are some tips to make sure the lesson sticks while you have a blast with these experiments together!
- Mess. Some of these projects can make a mess! Plan to do some of the more messy projects outside if you can, or embrace the mess indoors. Letting kids make a mess helps the learning process!
- Lesson. Most of the sites that have the experiment tutorials include the lessons behind the experiments that will reinforce what they can learn from the project!
- Questions. Encourage the kids to ask questions! Children are naturally curious and they will likely ask questions that will help back up what you’re trying to teach.
- Hypothesis. Have kids make a hypothesis for what they think will happen before the experiment is started. Then when the experiment is complete, have them compare the results with their hypothesis!
Easy Science Experiments for Kids
Use the list below as a starting point for creating a love of science in kids! From Elephant Toothpaste to making your own catapult, this list is full of ideas that kids of all ages will enjoy!
Baking Soda Science Experiments
- Apple Volcano – This is such a fun experiment using baking soda and apples to make a fizzy surprise!
- Homemade Fire Extinguisher – Teach kids how fire extinguishers work with this easy-to-make experiment!
- Baking Soda Volcano – Make your very own classic science experiment with this baking soda volcano!
- Balloon Experiment – Grab a balloon and a two-liter bottle and watch how the baking soda reacts to blow the balloon up!
- Fizzy Pirate Treasure Chests – Kids can help make these from start to finish and they have so much fun watching the baking soda react to the vinegar to reveal the treasure inside!
- Elephant Toothpaste – This classic science experiment for kids only takes a few simple ingredients to make and kids love it!
Nature Science Experiments
- Water pH Science Experiment – Test the pH balance of several different types of water and discover what that means and why it matters!
- Create a Cloud in a Jar – Learn what clouds are made of and how they’re created with this simple science experiment for kids!
- Ocean In a Bottle – The ocean is made up of many different layers! Learn about the differences and their importance with this fun project in a bottle!
- Sunscreen Experiment – Teach kids about how sunscreen works and the importance of using it on our skin with this awesome experiment!
- Rain Clouds Experiment – Show how rain collects in clouds and travels to the ground with this experiment that kids of any age can do!
- Color Changing Flowers – Turn white flowers into a rainbow of colors with this idea! See which colors absorb into the petals better by using a rainbow of colors!
Food Science Experiments
- Jello and Vinegar Experiment – Watch the Jello fizz when you add the vinegar! Kids love this one with all the colors!
- Mentos and Diet Coke Experiment – This is one of those experiments you will want to do outside! Watch the explosive reaction and explain to kids why this happens!
- Magic Milk Experiment – Make milk magic with just a couple of ingredients from your kitchen!
- Separate Salt and Pepper – All you need is a little salt and pepper combined with static electricity to make this experiment work!
- Growing Gummy Bears – Watch ordinary gummy bears grow to be much larger when you learn with this project!
- Egg in Vinegar Experiment – What happens when you put an egg in vinegar? Find out with this easy science experiment for kids at home!
Colorful Science Experiments
- Rainbow Science Experiments – This is an entire collection of rainbow-themed science experiments for kids!
- 5-Minute Sugar Rainbow Density Tower – Did you know that sugar changes the density of the water? See how it works in this simple experiment!
- Celery Experiment – Did you know that colors will travel through celery? Watch it move through the plant over time!
- How to Make Crystal Stars – Use borax to make these colorful crystals yourself! Kids love making these little ornaments!
- Musical Jars Experiment – Make music with colorful water in jars with this fun idea! Water levels change the tone the jar makes when tapped with a spoon!
- How to Make Glitter Slime – Slime is such a fun experiment for kids, but the science behind slime is amazing! Make this colorful slime in a rainbow of colors!
Cool Science Experiments
- Easy 2 Ingredient Oobleck Recipe – Oobleck isn’t just slime, it’s a non-Newtonian fluid! Learn about what that means with this simple two-ingredient experiment!
- Glow-In-The-Dark Lava Lamp – This isn’t an ordinary lava lamp, this one glows! Kids love making and watching these!
- Popsicle Stick Catapult – Use popsicle sticks to make your own catapult! Kids can learn about simple machines in this project!
- Glow Stick Chemical Reaction – Learn all about glow sticks and what makes them glow with this exciting experiment!
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – this classic experiment is so much fun! Have kids pick their favorite color and then create their very own lava lamp!
- Popsicle Sticks Chain Reaction – All you need to make this explosive experiment is popsicle sticks and the tutorial! Find out why this works by clicking the link!
Have fun with little ones while they learn with all of these easy science experiments for kids! Learning doesn’t have to be done quietly and sitting down, but can be hands-on and fun!